Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Time Flies When You're Having Fun!

Last week in the office wasn't particularly busy by usual standards, but it just kind of flew by. It was still "casual week" in the office, which is a guaranteed good time! Tuesday I legitimately accomplished almost nothing, and I loved it. We spent the morning and part of the afternoon talking about how the American government works (or doesn't), explaining college football, and talking about school spirit at universities (which always makes me miss Texas A&M). While little work was done, it was a big step, in my opinion, in really developing personal relationships with my summer colleagues.

Wednesday night I met up with the other American interns, and introduced Matt to the group. We had dinner at a restaurant called Bordo. As usual, the waiter seemed a little overwhelmed with our large, English speaking, boisterous crowd, but it was better than last week's outing, in that we got our bill when we asked for it and not 45 minutes later. After dinner, we all wandered a long way over to a hipster bar. It was lovely, but after one overpriced beer, we headed on out. A few of us went to Matt's apartment to hang out. Turns out, Matt is living the good life in what, at least in comparison to everyone else's situation, seems like a small palace. It's the ideal place for a party though, so we had some drinks, listened to some 80's music, and plotted our next night out on the town.

Thursday was a big first, as I had my first dinner and drinks with colleagues, outside of office hours. There's a great Czech place near Matt's apartment, where we met up. At the urging of Sasha, we ordered a sampler plate. It was suggested that a minimum of 2 people eat it, but even with Sasha, Matt, and  I, we barely made a dent! It was a giant platter of meat (the core of Eastern European diets), with a few potatoes and some red cabbage thrown on for good measure. We also had liter beers (which are one of my favorite things about Europe), and just hung around and talked for several hours. Our coworker Micha came and joined the party for a little while, before he had to head home. I'd call it a successful after work outing on all accounts!

It was a nice, calm week in the office, but really fun socially (especially considering my social calendar in Poland so far has been pretty empty)! Friday I even got to leave work a bit early to head up North and explore Gdansk! It's hard to believe that my third week has already come and gone, but I guess time really flies when you're having fun!

Full fledged tourists (completely rocking the last day of "casual day" office attire) enjoying beer by the liter and giant Polish meat platters!

No comments:

Post a Comment