Monday, June 3, 2013

First Impressions: Warsaw

Old Town Tour and the Palace of Culture--Photos from my first days in Warsaw


This is my second morning in Warsaw, and I already know I am going to love it. For a city, especially a capital city, Warsaw feels very peaceful and very green. The hustle and bustle that dominates Western society seems to be lessened here--from your first moments in the city, you seem to get the impression that the Polish enjoy life more.
The Fountain at Saxon Park

The language is difficult to say the least. Paulina, who works with my program, has been trying to teach my roommate Julie and I some basic phrases. Julie, who speaks German, seems to retain them well, but my romance language training does nothing to help me. Dzien dobry, the traditional greeting, is about as far as I've gotten. My next phrase to master is "Przeprazamnie mowie po polsku", which translates to, "I'm sorry, I don't speak Polish."

The food is delicious, but very heavy. Meals of perogis and potato pancakes will quickly fill you up. I'm glad I've been able to find some good fruit at the grocery store--it balances out the carb heavy meals nicely.

 
Potato Pancakes with red cabbage and beer at Podwale

My Warsaw accommodations aren't the prettiest, but they are comfortable. Our apartment has really great light, and a beautiful view that includes the Palace of Culture.

View from my apartment living room

So far, my first impression of Warsaw is very positive. The people I've interacted with are all very friendly and the city is gorgeous. Today my adventure continues with my first meeting at the German Marshall Foundation. I'm excited to see how work culture compares to my general impressions, and to learn more about my assignment.

Do zobaczenia!

No comments:

Post a Comment